Today is a public holiday (ANZAC Day) where we remember the efforts of our past generations who fought in wars. I am not very enamoured by the hype that surrounds these days – commercialisation reigns and the black/white nature of the narrative (we were good they were evil) obscures the reality of war and the political machinations that typically accompany it. In Australia’s case our involvement in several wars has been the product of unnecessary colonial master-servant type arrangements (us being the servant) and/or ridiculous alliances with the war mongering US. But the soldiers certainly did it tough and I have sympathy with that – and personal association with my parents. But for me, I am travelling a lot today and am taking the work time to continue working on the completion of our Modern Monetary Theory (MMT) textbook, which is now in its final stages (2 weeks away). I expect it to be published later this year now through Macmillan. I will post specific information when it is available. While I am working today, I am listening to this …
This song – Bird On The Wing – is from the 1987 album (Track 6) – Tomorrow – by Hugh Masekela.
I first bought this album when it came out and played it a lot. It was recorded while Masekela was in exile from the apartheid regime. The album has songs about the imprisoned Nelson Mandela and lots of rhythms from the townships (Soweto) interlaced with straight jazz patterns.
This song is my favourite on the album from a number of close favourites.
Masakela is a pretty solid player and a pretty solid guy if you trace his background.
As as the Album name suggests – my regular blog will return tomorrow.
Upcoming Book Tour
While all the details are not quite settled the following schedule is coming together for my visit to Britain and Europe in late September to promote the publication of my next book (with Thomas Fazi) – this is our book about neo-liberalism and the Left.
If you are around during this period and close by it would be great to see you.
1. Monday, September 25, 2017 – Labour Conference, Brighton –– evening presentation.
2. Tuesday September 26, 2017 – Launch of new book, London.
3. Wednesday, September 27, 2019 – Berlin book launch event (combined launch of German edition of my Eurozone book and my new book with Thomas Fazi)
4. Madrid – Thursday, September 28, 2017 – Meetings with politicians etc.
5. Madrid – Friday, September 29, 2017 – Book event
6. Saturday, September 29, 2017 – travel
7. Rome, Sunday, October 1, 2017 – Book event
8. Milan, Monday, October 2, 2017 – Book event
9. Helsinki, October 3-5, 2017 – launching two books plus a new educational initiative. More details coming.
10. Friday, October 6, 2017 – Paris – Book event to be determined.